We encourage everyone to stay at home where possible, but we have been asked over the last few weeks for some guidance around the subject of solo litter picking during this time.
Helping Hand Environmental understand a lot of individual volunteers are still wishing to litter pick by themselves/solo, or with their own household as part of their daily exercise – with many understanding the therapeutic benefits of spending time outdoors; boosting their immune system and a positive impact on your mental health and well-being.
Following government advice on social distancing and where safe to do so, a solo litter pick could form part of your daily exercise routine.
However, if you wish to continue with your own litter-picking activity then please ensure you follow the latest Government advice on COVID-19 to ensure you protect your own safety, and the safety of others:
- Always use a Litterpicker
- Wear protective gloves
- Wash your hands (before and after your litter pick)
- Use your own carrier bag, bucket or cleansing bag to collect litter in
- Don’t touch any litter with your hands
- Don’t pick up litter with your hands
- Don’t collect PPE litter – like disposable gloves or face masks – report them to the council
- Don’t touch your face whilst out litter picking
- Always keep a safe 2 meters away from any other member(s) of the public
- Sanitise your equipment before and after use
- Once collected, you will need to dispose of your litter at home using your household general waste or recycling bins – your local authority will not have capacity to collect your litter bags during this time so please do not leave litter related bags out next to your bins.
In light of recent Government advise, all community group and more then 2+ people clean-ups should cease. Therefore you can litter pick individually, with only the members of your own household or only one other person outside your household (but at social distance) as part of your daily exercise routine.
If you need further help, our team are working remotely from home but are still at the end of the phone, but if we can answer any questions – do give Helping Hand a call, 01531 635678. We have a range of litter picking guides in our Download section and also a range of reusable litter pickers safer working litter picking products – like our NEW folding Safe Pick Litter Picker and Sharp Pouch to help you undertake your solo picks; with safety and confidence.
Most importantly from everyone at Helping Hand Environmental, stay safe 🙂